Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default More on electric cars.

In article ,
Tony Bryer wrote:
On Sat, 22 Sep 2012 23:26:02 +0100 Dave Plowman (News) wrote :
I sincerely doubt it. Many millions have been spent researching all
sort of variations on the IC engine, but the good ol standard piston
engine soldiers on. Remember the Orbital?

My Prius apparently has an Atkinson cycle engine, but I couldn't quite
make out whether the innards are any different to any other engine, or
whether it is just a valve timing difference.

On the Prius, it's a normal four stroke engine with the valve timing set
to use the principles of the Atkinson cycle. It's a double edged sword -
it gives good results when running light - but is very inefficient at high
demand. Which is why the Prius is so heavy on fuel when driven hard.
Other Toyota hybrids don't use an Atkinson cycle engine. The Prius was
optimised as a town car for places like LA.

--
*I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.