Default French door problem

On Fri, 23 Apr 2004 14:26:33 GMT, "mel"
wrote:

I will however make this final point. You would have the sticking, which is
made of wood and costs a few cents per lineal foot to replace, inside
protected from the elements while the mutton bar, which is also often made
of the same wood, is outside with the most exposure and subsequently
requires the replacement of the entire door or sash should it rot out. The
same discerning clientele you say you work for is the same discerning
clientele who needs to find a better painter if they are unable to " make
nailed sticking look as if it weren't." And I personally, if given the
choice between having one side or the other look worse, would rather it be
on the outside since I'd hope the quality of craftsmanship on the inside of
my house exceeds that on the exterior. But that is my opinion. I do not
claim it as right or wrong.

it's also not uncommon to paint the outside to match the exterior trim
and stain the interior to match interior woodwork. in this case I feel
it is easier to get good looking finishes with the applied pieces on
the outside.