Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ignoramus32233 Ignoramus32233 is offline

Default Truck for $500

On 2012-09-21, Bruce L. Bergman (munged human readable) wrote:
On Wed, 19 Sep 2012 22:05:41 -0500, Ignoramus25449

On 2012-09-20, Larry Jaques wrote:
On Wed, 19 Sep 2012 17:23:33 -0500, Ignoramus25449

On 2012-09-19, Lloyd E. Sponenburgh lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:
Ignoramus25449 fired this volley in
:

Lloyd, so, you are saying that the engine is not worth that much?
Could I get $2k for it?

No, no! That engine is the workhorse motor for trucks in that class, and
for some of the older 80s-early90s Ford 350 dualies. Every U-Haul JH
truck on the road had one for at least 15 years when I was renting them a
lot. It's a great, strong, long-lasting motor.

BUT that mileage sounds Real Low for a truck that age. I'd track down
the original owners and ask if it's always been run Locally 5 miles
out and back, or been Clocked by the dealer - or it just rolled over
100,000 and only has a 5-digit odometer.

I'd bet you'd sell it in a couple of days for $2K in running condition.

LLoyd

This is great! Our plan A would be to see if we can get the truck to
just be a good running truck, easily. If that does not work, which is
most likely, then we will take out and sell the engine with
transmission.

It shouldn't cost much or take much time to replace the master and
wheel cylinders + brake lines. Then you could get $10k(?) for it.
The doors latches might simply need to be lubed to latch correctly.

I was thinking of more like getting $4k for it, not 10k. It is pretty
rusted.

But I will be happy if I can sell the diesel engine+trans for $2k and
scrap the rest for $1k, and sell the wheels for $300.

The rust in the doors is what worries me - the doors might not latch
because the door-posts rusted and the latches or strikes ripped out.

And being an International, finding replacement door posts and
replacement complete doors (swap the inner skins and latches over) can
be done, but they might cost a bit more than you expect. International
has always been good at keeping the pieces available to keep their
gear running - they know if it can't be driven you can't earn money
with it.

If you want to take the time to root out all the rust and section in
repair pieces and paint it, you'll probably get your investment back
in resale value. If you take it to a body shop and pay retail, not so
much.

It came up as SOLD, was that you?

-- Bruce --

Yes, it was me.

I do not like the idea of any deep repairs. If it cannot be brought up
to a decent condition in a couple of days, I will take out the engine
and sell that, sell the tires, and scrap the rest for more than what I paid.

The odometer has six digits.