Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default No moral justification for a graduated income tax structure

On Sep 21, 12:51*pm, Silly Rabbit wrote:
On 09/21/2012 07:37 AM, George Plimpton wrote:

On 9/21/2012 1:24 AM, Silly Rabbit wrote:

When someone driving at 50 mph doubles his speed to 100 mph, it requires
eight times the power.

Bull****.

(A) Then state how much power is required.
* * *Do it.

So when someone making $50/hr increases that to $100/hr, he should pay
eight times the taxes.

Invalid analogy, based on bull****. *Rejected.

(B) You're stuck on part (A).

Things are never as simple as that. The power required to go 50 mph
and 100 mph is composed of two parts. The rolling resistance and the
air resistance. The air resistance goes up by the cube of the speed.
So to go 100 mph requires 8 times as much power as is required to go
50 mph. However the force required for rolling resistance only goes
up by the speed. So the power to go 100 mph because of rolling
resistance is only double that required to go 50 mph. So more data
is required to give an accurate answer. What is the coefficient of
drag and what is the rolling resistance coefficient?

And that will only get you the actual force. To figure gasoline
consumption you need to know more about the engine.

And I can not see any reason tax rate should be related to power
required to drive.

So I would agree. You are a silly rabbit.

Cheers