Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Guv Bob Guv Bob is offline

Default VCR Or The Remote?

"hr(bob) " wrote in message ...
On Sep 18, 8:01 pm, "Guv Bob"
wrote:
"whit3rd" wrote in ...
On Monday, September 17, 2012 11:31:37 PM UTC-7, Guv Bob wrote:
"Ron" wrote in ...

I have an old clunker of a set, a combined TV and VCR that somebody

gave to us, which works well enough so I keep using it. Or it did: For

some reason the remote now only controls the TV and not the VCR:

so .... can anyone recommend a good but cheap universal remote?

I kinda like some of the X10 remotes (starting at $5 fromwww.x10.com);these
have RF as well as infrared output, so you can use 'em with radio modules
for non line-of-sight applications, including bridges to control
house lighting and suchlike. Or as a mouse for a computer.

Thanks fellers! I'm off to (in this order) 99-cents store, Big Lots & KFC.

I can't knock the Magnavox on quality of recording, but the remote make it look bad.

My impartial review of this remote.... Impossible to use the remote without studying the manual each time. Many common features are not intuitive -- like having 2 different ways to turn it on and off, depending on whether your timer is set or not.

Also, if you have the timer set and are watching something at the time, it will just sit there and let you miss recording it. No warning on the screen, etc. Then when you turn it off, it pops up and starts recording.

Besides the programming and poor quality hardware, the remote's buttons are all lined up, equally spaced apart and most are the same size, so you have to look at it even just to change channels. The markings identifying the buttons are also so small and hard to read, and I've got normal eyesight. Also, you can't hit a button and find out the time.

Summary..... Designed by someone who doesn't watch TV.- Hide quoted text -

- No, designed by someone who doesn't use remotes.

LOL! Yes, that's right. Have to say again though - the recording quality is superb. Now that I have spent several years learning the remote, it's been OK.

This is the only DVD recorder I have used -- it require you to "finalize" a disk before it can be viewed on a regular DVD player or computer. Is this normal for current recorders these days?