Posted to alt.home.repair
HeyBub[_3_] HeyBub[_3_] is offline

Default some beginner's painting questions

Todd wrote:
Hi All,

Some beginner's painting questions:

1) for 8 sq ft do a really need a roller? Or can I stick with a
brush?

Either. But a small roller will usually do a better job.

2) if using a brush, can I dip directly into the can? Or, will
the second time I dip it into the can contaminate the can?

The basic rule is to not paint from the can. Pour some paint into a separate
container. It's no so much contamination - although that can be a factor if
you're painting a ghastly surface - as it is exposing the canned paint to
air. Oxygen is the enemy of paint.

3) do I caulk before or after I paint?

Either. Depends on whether you want the caulk to match the paint. Also
consider whether the paint will stick to the caulk you use.

4) water cleanup. Does this mean the hose outside or can
I use the sink inside? (Will it mess up the sink?)

If using LATEX paint, you can use the sink. Hint: A dabble of fabric
softener make clean-up much easier.

Last Hint: Invest in one of the "Painting Secrets" books you find at the box
store. The one I've got is chock-a-block full of useful tips. Here's one for
free:

"Oil and Water do not mix." What this means is that you can spray your hands
with PAM before you start and you won't end up all speckeled.

One mo
Cling wrap on your glasses makes cleaning them trivial.