View Single Post
  #2   Report Post  
Posted to alt.home.repair
external usenet poster

Default need switch-switch-blank wallplate

On Thursday, September 20, 2012 3:50:38 PM UTC-4, Edward Reid wrote:
I'm helping a friend fix up some things in her house. A mystery switch turned out to have no wires attached. It was just being used to fill the third hole in a three-gang wall plate. This is in a part of the house where a room had been added by a previous owner, thus the "homeowner job" quality control. I'd like to get rid of the mystery switch. I've searched at big box stores and on the web, and I haven't found a wall plate that's switch+switch+blank. (Specifically, it needs to be ivory, and the switches are toggle .... even though every other room in the house is white, rocker. Go figure.) Any idea where to find such a wall plate, or suggestions for alternatives? I've considered some possibilities. 1) Of course there's always putting it back like it was, but I don't like mystery switches. 2) I could try carefully trimming two wall plates to meet on a straight line, and if I were really good with a router, that might be the best course, but I'm not that good. 3) I could convert this one room to rocker switches to match the rest of the house, and possibly have a better chance, though I had to go online even to find a duplex rocker+blank two-gang plate for a similar situation in another room. 4) If I could find just a little plug to fill the toggle-switch-size hole in the plate, I'd even be happy with that. 5) I'm not sure if I looked for a switch+switch+outlet plate, just adding an outlet to fill the space, but it's in a bathroom and I think I'd need to use a GFCI outlet (and would therefore require a switch+switch+rectangle plate), plus I'm not sure if I identified a neutral in the box. (I'm not there to look at it today..) Thanks, Edward

For #5, http://www.switchhits.com/category/C...a-Switchplates