Posted to uk.d-i-y
Doctor Drivel Doctor  Drivel is offline

Default More on electric cars.

"John Williamson" wrote in message
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Tim Streater wrote:
Yes, in fact does anyone know why places like Manchester, Edinburgh, are
putting in trams at ruinous expense instead of electric trolley busses?
Apart from the willy-waving factor, that is.

Trams are much more energy efficient. Less rolling friction.

But more weight and infrastructure maintenance. Which respectively require
more energy to accelerate, and generate CO2 emissions. And the extra
congestion they cause makes other road users use more fuel. And they're
less flexible in use. It would be much cheaper and more space efficient to
use trolleybuses on a guided busway.

Oh no, he can't reads either. Supercap buses have eliminated trolleybuses
off the future transport map.

Trams are good where you have a *lot* of people to move in a steady stream
along a dedicated track. Or is that a train?

A tram is a train on a street - a daft idea. See my post on my they came
about.