Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Disconnecting Generac Generator

On Sep 20, 3:06*pm, "John F. F." wrote:
wrote in ...

On Sep 20, 1:06 pm, "John F. F." wrote:

Hi All,
We are disconnecting and removing a 10kw generator. There is an automatic
transfer connected to the main panel isnide the house. *Is there anything
that must *be done after disconnecting *the outside cable and low voltage
connector that are in the disconnect box mounted on the outside of the
house
except locking it. *Thank you.

No, assuming it's disconnected by removing wires from
the terminals of the disconnect. *On the other hand, if
it were disconnected from some arrangement where there
are bare wire ends of what were current carrying conductors left
in the box, then I would put wire nuts over them.

One thing is a bit troubling though. *You say there is a low
voltage cable in the disconnect box? * If that is true, it must
be in a seperate section of the box, seperated by a divider
from the line voltage part.

Thanks for input. I'm assuming the small gauge wires with snap-type
connectors are low voltage or signal wires of some type. They was a brief
reference in the manual. *I don't see any way to isolate them from the
terminal block that's in the box except to tape up what will be the
remaining end of the plastic connector.

I don't know who did the install, but it's a code violation
to have low voltage control wires in the same box as
line voltage conductors. The exception is if there is a
permanent divider that seperates the two, which is
done in some equipment.