Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Disconnecting Generac Generator

We are disconnecting and removing a 10kw generator. There is an automatic
transfer connected to the main panel isnide the house. Is there anything
that must be done after disconnecting the outside cable and low voltage
connector that are in the disconnect box mounted on the outside of the
house
except locking it. Thank you.

No, assuming it's disconnected by removing wires from
the terminals of the disconnect. On the other hand, if
it were disconnected from some arrangement where there
are bare wire ends of what were current carrying conductors left
in the box, then I would put wire nuts over them.

One thing is a bit troubling though. You say there is a low
voltage cable in the disconnect box? If that is true, it must
be in a seperate section of the box, seperated by a divider
from the line voltage part.

Thanks for input. I'm assuming the small gauge wires with snap-type
connectors are low voltage or signal wires of some type. They was a brief
reference in the manual. I don't see any way to isolate them from the
terminal block that's in the box except to tape up what will be the
remaining end of the plastic connector.

*Those wires are not low voltage. They sense when power is lost at the main
circuit breaker panel. There should be a two pole 15 or 20 amp circuit
breaker in the main panel that they are connected to. Disconnect them from
that circuit breaker and tape the ends. That may affect the transfer switch
operation and put it into emergency power mode. You could label the wires
for future knowledge.