Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Best tool for unsticking doors

On Sep 20, 12:00*pm, Jennifer Murphy wrote:
I have an old house. From time to time, one door or another will stick.
I assume it's because of the house settling in an uneven manner.

In the past, I've used a surform tool to shave off about 1/16" or so.
This is a bit of work in an awkward location (top of door) on a surface
that is difficult to stabilize. And, if I'm not careful, there is a
tendency to knock chips off the side.

I have 4-5 doors that are sticking that I have been procrastinating
fixing. I'm thinking about buying a little power sander to make the task
a little easier. I'd be interested in suyggestions for what type of
sander to get. Orbital? Belt? Or something else?

I see some small orbital sanders with a dust collector. Do they work?
That would make clean up a lot easier.

Have you tried loosening some hinges and tightening others to reset
the door or cant it slightly upward or downward. A couple of pieces
of thin cardboard behind the right hinge can do wonders and doesn't
leave any dustg.