Posted to alt.home.repair
Jennifer Murphy[_2_] Jennifer Murphy[_2_] is offline

Default Best tool for unsticking doors

On Thu, 20 Sep 2012 13:19:13 -0500, Vic Smith
wrote:

On Thu, 20 Sep 2012 14:06:11 -0400, Frank
wrote:

On 9/20/2012 1:37 PM, Jennifer Murphy wrote:
On Thu, 20 Sep 2012 13:21:49 -0400, Frank
wrote:

On 9/20/2012 1:00 PM, Jennifer Murphy wrote:
I have an old house. From time to time, one door or another will stick.
I assume it's because of the house settling in an uneven manner.

In the past, I've used a surform tool to shave off about 1/16" or so.
This is a bit of work in an awkward location (top of door) on a surface
that is difficult to stabilize. And, if I'm not careful, there is a
tendency to knock chips off the side.

I have 4-5 doors that are sticking that I have been procrastinating
fixing. I'm thinking about buying a little power sander to make the task
a little easier. I'd be interested in suyggestions for what type of
sander to get. Orbital? Belt? Or something else?

I see some small orbital sanders with a dust collector. Do they work?
That would make clean up a lot easier.

I don't know but that is a good idea I will try next time with my small
orbital sander. I usually use an old surface planer.

I assume you mean something like this: http://tinyurl.com/97yg45r

and not something like this: http://tinyurl.com/9j4y66o

;-)

Neither. Something inherited from my father - hand powered.

They look something like this.
http://tinyurl.com/d7spl34
Come in different styles and sizes.
I've butchered a lot of wood with them.
They're the reason electricity was invented.

:-)

I had power tools on my brain, so a simple hand plane never entered my
mind. (sigh) Yes, I've done some really awful work with one of those.