Posted to rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.metalworking
Stanley Schaefer Stanley Schaefer is offline

Default Paint spray guns (air)....

I've gotten to try a real HVLP setup at a woodworking show, this uses
a turbine setup like a reverse vacuum cleaner and really big air
hoses. The advantage is that there's virtually no overspray and you
can almost handle the thing like an airbrush. You had to be careful
with the viscosity of the finish, though. The conversion guns are
better than the regular spray guns as far as overspray, but still
produce a big cloud if you're trying to finish the insides of cabinets
and such. Haven't tried latex, i use my conversion guns for car work
and woodworking finishes. You can rapidly exceed what a portable
compressor can deliver if you're using a regular old-style pressure
sprayer.

If I were to do a house, I'd rent one of the high end airless setups
that runs out of 5 gallon buckets, about as far from one of the Wagner
critters as you can get. They take a lot of cleanup, so not really
the thing to haul out for craft work and small jobs.

As far as equippage on the gun, I use a dedicated air hose, just for
painting and used for nothing else, a regulator at the gun and a
dessicant-type water filter. I also have a 4' whip hose on the gun
itself.

Stan