Posted to rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Paint spray guns (air)....

Existential Angst wrote:

Why would siphon guns have trouble with latex? Isn't it only a
matter of viscosity?

Probably, but by the time you can thin down latex enough to atomize, it does
not spray well. As well - it's the composition of the paint itself. Robert
(nailshooter) has really delved into this stuff much more than I ever have.
I tend to stay at the level of equipment and technique, where he really digs
into the specifics of different spray materials, etc. He could offer a lot
more detailed insight than I can. What I can tell you is that it is not
always just a matter of viscosity. Some materials just do not atomize.
Sorry - when it comes to latex, I've reached the limits of my understanding
with that statement.

These guns seem to specifically specify low to medium viscosity. I
find that cutting many paints with water helps brushing, and
apparently helps spraying.

To a point. Remember - no matter what you are spraying, you can easily over
reduce anything. These things are formulated to accept only a certain level
of reducer, and only certain types of reducers. At a point, if you think
about it, you're shooting more reducing agent than paint. How's that going
to work out? Adhesion depends on a minimum level of the paint itself.
Color penetration depends on a certain level of the paint itself. At some
point - you screw yourself when reducing any paint.

Oh, my little test run last nite (with latex, flamingo pink... g )
did very well. A very thin coat, but apparently excellent coverage,
bonding.

Good for ya! If you can get good coverage and what appears to be good
adhesion, then go with it. My stand-by recommendation - never exceed the
manufacturer's recommendations. You really can push those a bit, but you
have to know what you are doing and you are taking your chances in doing so.

But it's good to know that if these are doing well with latex, I can
do oil as well.
iirc, the airless guns require special nozzle thingies for oil paint.

Your gun appears to be very capable. I don't want to sound too encouraging
because tip sizes and a lot of other factors come into play, but hell...
give them a try. Worst you can do is screw up, and screwing up a paint job
is not the biggest mistake we can ever make in life.

--

-Mike-