Posted to rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.metalworking
Existential Angst[_2_] Existential Angst[_2_] is offline

Default Paint spray guns (air)....

"Mike Marlow" wrote in message
Existential Angst wrote:

Greatly appreciate the heads up.

So it seems you really do need a pressure regulator *at* the gun, OR a
dedicated tank with the proper pressure.

At all guns - absolutely. Do yourself a favor and go to Harbor Freight
and buy them there. They are about $4 each (I think...), and they are
plenty good enough. Forget about the dedicated tank with proper pressure
idea. As soon as you add more hose, you've changed the pressure at the
gun. Just put a regulator on every gun. And... put a ball type water
trap on every gun. They too are very cheap at HF. Some things are worth
spending more money on at other places, but these two items are not.

Good to know.

As I have now about 7 min of paint spraying experience, I proly
shouldn't be editorializing, but from a purely mechanical/intuitive
pov, I'm just blown away by how much simpler and more ergonomic this
air spraying is over the wagner-type airless. I guess the issue is,
most people don't have air compressors, so the airless strategy
becomes essentially a default strategy.

Well - yes... and no. The airless stuff used to have the advantage of
being able to spray latex as well. Siphon guns suck at that - and not in
the right way! Today's dedicated HVLP (not a conversion gun) are reputed
to shoot latex quite well. Don't really know - don't own one. My wife
does all the latex work around here. I just shoot the nasty stuff.

Again, really appreciate the help.

Absolutely - if you have any more questions, just ask, and I'll make up
some more answers...\

Bless you. I'll keep you posted on my pressurized paint pot.

Why would siphon guns have trouble with latex? Isn't it only a matter of
viscosity?
These guns seem to specifically specify low to medium viscosity. I find
that cutting many paints with water helps brushing, and apparently helps
spraying.

Oh, my little test run last nite (with latex, flamingo pink... g ) did
very well. A very thin coat, but apparently excellent coverage, bonding.

But it's good to know that if these are doing well with latex, I can do oil
as well.
iirc, the airless guns require special nozzle thingies for oil paint.
--
EA

--

-Mike-