Posted to rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Paint spray guns (air)....

Existential Angst wrote:

Greatly appreciate the heads up.

So it seems you really do need a pressure regulator *at* the gun, OR a
dedicated tank with the proper pressure.

At all guns - absolutely. Do yourself a favor and go to Harbor Freight and
buy them there. They are about $4 each (I think...), and they are plenty
good enough. Forget about the dedicated tank with proper pressure idea. As
soon as you add more hose, you've changed the pressure at the gun. Just put
a regulator on every gun. And... put a ball type water trap on every gun.
They too are very cheap at HF. Some things are worth spending more money on
at other places, but these two items are not.

As I have now about 7 min of paint spraying experience, I proly
shouldn't be editorializing, but from a purely mechanical/intuitive
pov, I'm just blown away by how much simpler and more ergonomic this
air spraying is over the wagner-type airless. I guess the issue is,
most people don't have air compressors, so the airless strategy
becomes essentially a default strategy.

Well - yes... and no. The airless stuff used to have the advantage of being
able to spray latex as well. Siphon guns suck at that - and not in the
right way! Today's dedicated HVLP (not a conversion gun) are reputed to
shoot latex quite well. Don't really know - don't own one. My wife does
all the latex work around here. I just shoot the nasty stuff.

Again, really appreciate the help.

Absolutely - if you have any more questions, just ask, and I'll make up some
more answers...\

--

-Mike-