Posted to uk.d-i-y
harry harry is offline

Default More on electric cars.

On Sep 20, 1:41*pm, John Rumm wrote:
On 20/09/2012 07:42, harry wrote:

There are a lot of daft ****s here that can't get their heads out of
their arses.

Where "****" would be anyone that does not share your opinion I take it?

They are daft ****s because they pay for domestic fuel and I pay
nothing.

You pay nothing - but someone *is* paying.

Harry, out of interest, how do the numbers work out for your
installation if you took away the FiT payments?

In other words, lets say you can save the cost of purchase of any
electricity you use, and you can sell any surplus to the grid at
industry spot wholesale prices (i.e. significantly below retail, and
varying with time of day - so less during a sunny afternoon, but more on
a winter evening etc).

I have a suspicion that looked at like that, the numbers don't work -
however I would be happy to be proved wrong.

They rabbit on about combi- boilers and other unneccesary **** when
all you need is insulation.

Insulation is not great at heating water. It is also frequently not
economically feasible to fit enough of it to all properties.

I expect they are descendants of people who wanted to keep horse and
carts. (it'll never catch on syndrome)
The price of all fossil fuels will rocket. But not *renewable energy
which will come down.

Currently, most "renewable" energy (especially wind) is really just a
disguised vehicle for turning fossil fuels into electricity. Not
directly obviously, but the fuel costs are all embedded in there. Why
else do you suppose it is so expensive?

In twenty years you will be driving an electric car or nothing at all,
regardless of how the technology has progressed. You need to get used
to the idea.

Why not a man made diesel or a hydrogen powered car? Both are doable
with adequate electrical generation capability.

The vehicles themselves are not the real stumbling block. Right now we
don't have the generation capacity to support even a marginal shift to
electric road transportation.

So Drivel you see is a trendsetter. Even if he is mad.

We are in a transition period. Fossil fuels are goinf to become
ruinously expensive.
It is neccesary to get the alternative energies upand running before
this happens.

We can't wait for it to happen first,that will be too late.

So the new energy system has to be subsidised. The theory is that by
2020 parity in fuel costs will be achieved. After that renewable
energies will be cheaper.
And we need all the technolgies Wind, solar, wave, tide and gas to
fill the occasional gaps.
A new gas power station has just been opened in SW Wales for this very
purpose, 50% efficient and very flexible output.

The net financial benefit to me in my house including tax is £3500/
year.
This includes FIT and having no heating costs due to massive
insulation and solar thermal hot water.
This benefit will get to be more and more as heating cost rise. I will
stil pay nothing.
If I get an electric car, I will pay nothing for fuel for at least six
months/year.
So fuel poverty will never affect me.
I would think at least 30% of houses could be converted to Solar
Passive houses.
For people that have the wit to do it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Passive..._and_landscape

My house is insulated to beyond this standard.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Passive...uperinsulation