Posted to uk.d-i-y
harry harry is offline

Default More on electric cars.

On Sep 20, 10:53*am, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:
In article
,
* *harry wrote:

On Sep 19, 12:37 pm, Steve Firth wrote:
harry wrote:

[snip]

If I buy an electric car, it will do infinity MPG if worked on a cash
basis.
I can charge it from my solar panels.

Excellent idea you can charge it overnight. Oh, hang on.

I take it that you never read the blog of the guy who converted a
Bedford Rascal to LiIon cells and a custom wound electric motor? Even
he admitted that on solar it would take a week to charge.

--
•DarWin|

In Summer I could charge it in a day from the PV.
Don't forget, it wouldn't be run to depletion anyway.
I don't use my car every day.

Which makes the high initial cost of an electric car even more stupid for
your circumstances.
You fall into the common trap of thinking fuel costs being the only one of
motoring. With low use they become the least significant, when running a
new vehicle.

It buys freedom. I don't have to worry about petrol costs ever again.