mel

Default French door problem

Mr. Jones, up to this point I haven't agreed or disagreed with you so set
the ego aside. I've pointed out that there exist many manufacturers of
doors who do. I understand you are a talented door hanger and from my side
of the industry, the prehung door and custom built door, I wish there were
more like you. In my original post I only stated that the placement of the
sticking as a security issue was false and in my opinion ludicrous. These
are the same people who purchase a 1" throw deadbolt and proceed to install
it using the dinky 5/8" screws provided for the strike plate and fail to
block the jamb and think," ewww... we're secure now" while having 32 windows
at ground level all secured with a thumb turn mechanism. I enjoy taking out
my lock pick, been keying locks since I was 12, and showing them just how
secure they really are. Get insurance, a dog and a gun. Get an alarm but
don't fool yourself into thinking that the way a door or window is built
offers up much more than a minimum amount of security.

However, not every one who hangs a door is willing to offer up their own
lifetime warrantee that supercedes the manufacturer's warrantee and if they
follow your advice they open themselves up to a liability they may not be
able to afford. Now you can define "right" by what you feel is the best way
or you can define "right" by what is in accordance to the manufacturer's
warrantee. I'd be willing to bet your "lifetime" warrantee only covers the
installation and not the product itself.

The link you offer up on the "original" Atrium door is in fact the
"original" Atrium Patio replacement door. I personally know the man who
started this company and it was a design to offer an alternative to the
sliding aluminum type patio door. The reasons the bottom rail are the same
as the top rail is -

1. aesthetics- this door is shorter than the standard 6-8 door and a wider
bottom rail would appear overbearing
2. his IG glass units came from the same source as other manufacturers of
standard 6-8 doors and rather than having them make him a "custom" size he
chose to use the size already being made
3. he decided to machine his doors where they could interchange between LH
or RH. less inventory higher profits.
4. the door is made to be not only a replacement but should the
builder/homeowner decide after the opening is framed for a sliding glass
unit they would rather use his unit instead they still can.

In my opinion this shows a well thought out business strategy. Call him an
idiot if you like but he's a rich idiot.

As far as the terminology lesson concerning "french" doors if you'll note
on my previous post I placed that term in quotation marks just as I've done
here. I'm well aware of the origin of the term. I agree a good carpenter
learns something new every day and so does a good businessman. I applaud
your knowledge but let me offer you some free advice. If you allow your
knowledge to limit you on your ability to honestly capitalize on the
misconceptions of others you might just miss some opportunities. What you
claim is the "ignorance and laziness" is in fact the "ignorance and
laziness" of the end consumer... not the manufacturer. So when the astute
manufacturer realizes that the common consumer isn't aware of the history of
the door and they will mistakenly do a Google search for what they think is
called a "french" door they tie their site to this term. It would be
"idiocy" to not. Don't you agree?

I personally don't care which side the sticking is on as long as the men in
the mill pre-hang the door in accordance with the manufacturer's warrantee
and the consumer sees that someone qualified properly installs the door and
maintains proper care of the finish.

I will however make this final point. You would have the sticking, which is
made of wood and costs a few cents per lineal foot to replace, inside
protected from the elements while the mutton bar, which is also often made
of the same wood, is outside with the most exposure and subsequently
requires the replacement of the entire door or sash should it rot out. The
same discerning clientele you say you work for is the same discerning
clientele who needs to find a better painter if they are unable to " make
nailed sticking look as if it weren't." And I personally, if given the
choice between having one side or the other look worse, would rather it be
on the outside since I'd hope the quality of craftsmanship on the inside of
my house exceeds that on the exterior. But that is my opinion. I do not
claim it as right or wrong.