Posted to uk.d-i-y
harry harry is offline

Default More on electric cars.

On Sep 18, 10:15*pm, (Steve Firth) wrote:
Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Sun, 16 Sep 2012 10:21:39 +0100, Steve Firth wrote:

And I can use air con, heated seats, headlights and windscreen wipers
without worrying that I'll never get to my destination. I can also
cross Europe in just over a day - that will happen with the Leaf.

Think there is word missing in the end of the last sentance.

Yes, you're right, it's the word "not".

But these electric cars aren't designed for driving across europe or any
great distance. They are for the wage slaves doing the M-F 9-5 25 mile
round trip commute.

Yes also true and for the same people who can't imagine that anyone
would want to do anythign other than drive to work which is less than 12
miles away and then drive back. The fact that such a journey will
*never* recoup the extra they have had to pay for the car does not enter
their minds. Also since they don't understand well to wheel the fact
that the EV will emit more CO2 than a similar sied diesel car doesn't
enter their heads.

Whenever EV makes say their cars will do the equivalent of 230 mpg for
well to wheel CO2 emissions they are using the mix of electricity
supplied in France (mostly nuclear and HEP) for their comparison. Move
to the UK and that 230 mog collapses to 40 mpg because of our dirty
generating mix. Move to the coal capital states of the USA or CHina and
that figure gets even worse.

If I buy an electric car, it will do infinity MPG if worked on a cash
basis.
I can charge it from my solar panels.

The thing is the price of fossil fuels is going to quadruple in the
next decade.
Getting oil from the Aratic won't be cheap.

So harping about fuel costs is ********.
There are just two issues, range and capital cost.