Posted to uk.d-i-y
harry harry is offline

Default More on electric cars.

On Sep 18, 8:49*pm, Andy Champ wrote:

Motors in hub are an extremely bad thing. Adds to unsprung weight.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unsprung_weight

* Not if the motors weigh less than the axles they replace.

I'm more likely to believe you than some. Is this really possible?

I'd want to stick the motors _and_ the brakes inboard on drive shafts.
But I know I'm old fashioned...

Andy

Apart from unsprung weight, the motors are subjected to all the shocks
from bumps/potholes etc. and water.
Only part of driveshafts contributes to unsprung weight.

Motor in hubs are available as a DIY hybrid conversion, ie you take a
normal car and add the batteries and motorised hubs.