Posted to alt.home.repair
bob haller bob haller is offline

Default (OT) Auto brakes question

On Sep 18, 7:31*pm, (Larry W) wrote:
In article ,

wrote:
My brakes on my older Chevy seem to work fine, but several times lately
when I've had to brake fast, the brake light comes on. *On normal
braking it does not come on. *The master cylinder fluid is full, and
there are no leaks in the lines that can be seen. *The car has a
proportioning valve, and I assume that valve is not getting even
pressure to cause the light to come on. *The question is why? *Could the
master cylinder be bad, yet still stop the car properly? *This has me
puzzled.

Could be proportioning valve but master cylinder is more likely. It can
leak internally or bypass fluid around one of the pistons causing a
pressure difference high enough to activate the warning light switch.
Depending on how bad it is, it could be unnoticeable, especially if only
the rear brakes are being affected. If you ever notice any pedal fade,
and are sure there are no external leaks, replacement of the MC is
indicated.

--
* * There is always an easy solution to every human problem -- neat,
* * plausible, and wrong." * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *(H L Mencken)

* * *Larry Wasserman - Baltimore Maryland - lwasserm(a)sdf. lonestar. org

Bad master cyclinder, better safe than sorry.......

if your not certain take it to a pro mechanic