Posted to sci.electronics.repair
bubbas bubbas is offline

Default trying to adapt warm white LED to candles

"Bob Engelhardt" wrote in message
bubbas wrote:
... All the candles are now in the
windows and are lit nicely. My only concern now is LED life. I
understand it varies greatly according to manufacturer. I had really
hoped I wouldn't have to touch these for years. Perhaps so, but I'm not
sure.

I'm sure that life does vary with mfg'r. It also varies greatly with the
current used to drive them. But that affects the brightness, too. You
could try this: use larger & larger resistors until the bulbs are too dim.
A pot would be the easiest. It might surprise you as to how low you can
go & still get the desired affect.

Today, I went back and measured the current for all the lights. All were
from about 20-27 mA. I then increased resistance for each one until current
was from about 13-16 mA. There was slight dimming, but I think still
acceptable. I'll find out for sure after dark.

It has been fun modifying the original incandescent candles into these.
I've also had a chance to revisit electric circuit study, something I
haven't done for nearly 15 years.

Bud

Bob