Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Joseph Gwinn Joseph Gwinn is offline

Default Corporate cat

In article ,
Jon Elson wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote:

Set mouse traps along every wall. Bait them with garlic oil or peanut
butter or -nothing-!

I use the Victor traps with the metal bait holder, these are the best
if you can still get them. I put a chunk of peanut from chunky peanut
butter in the rolled-up part of the bait holder, there's no way they can
get that peanut chunk out of there without tripping the trap. Smooth
peanut butter they will just lick off without triggering it.

This is what I do, but with a proviso:

The as-purchased traps are too insensitive to catch timid mice, which
can lick the bait off the trigger without setting the trap off.

The solution is to bent the vertical flag on the trigger towards
perpendicular (to the top of the trap), thus increasing sensitivity. I
go all the way I can, such that one cannot set the trap and set it down.
One must instead put the trap down and then carefully set it.

One other thing - put a lanyard on the trap, and tie it to something
immovable, so a mouse caught by a leg cannot drag the trap away and die
somewhere hard to get to.

Joe Gwinn