Posted to alt.home.repair
Erik[_5_] Erik[_5_] is offline

Default Any idea what 'class 10.9' means in a black metric 8x125mm two-inch bolt?

In article ,
Bob Stevens wrote:

On Mon, 17 Sep 2012 18:44:18 -0500, dpb wrote:

Same as SAE Class 8. 8.8 is Class 5

Here is a picture of the two "ISO Class 10.9" bolts I bought:
http://www2.picturepush.com/photo/a/...mg/9740235.jpg

Is there any special reason for them being black?

In this nick of the woods (So Cal), brake drum's usually come off
without much trouble. I have a couple of garden variety, unknown grade
M8 X 1.25 bolts in my box dedicated to drum rotor pulling that now have
35 plus years of use on them. Never recall needing to use more than 5
ft/lbs or so.

Then again, I don't do a 'lot' of brakes, but even so, I bet they've
seen use over 100 times through the years, and still look new.

YMMV if you live/work in rust country.

Erik