Posted to sci.electronics.repair
bubbas bubbas is offline

Default trying to adapt warm white LED to candles

"Bob Engelhardt" wrote in message
bubbas wrote:
Working out good so far. I've had whatever walwarts I've had in the junk
box and have had to readjust the resistance accordingly. You'd be
surprised how much more some of the actual voltages are than are stamped
on the units. One I have said "12 volts", but in actuality, it was 19.5V!
Makes me wonder how much electronics in general burn out because of
mislabeled adapters.

Some over-voltage is to be expected: it's the compensation for the supply
bogging down under load. But 19.5 vs 12 is a bit much. If you're
curious, you could load it to its rated current & see what happens to the
voltage.

If you are going to be using 12v supplies, you might need higher wattage
resistors. E.g., (12 - 3.1) * .026 is just a 1/4 watt, so using 1/2 might
be a good idea. Of course, if that "12v" supply is really 19.5, you'd
need an even larger one.

Yes, I used resistors up to 1 watt today. I aimed to use double the wattage
required as a safety margin. All the candles are now in the windows and are
lit nicely. My only concern now is LED life. I understand it varies
greatly according to manufacturer. I had really hoped I wouldn't have to
touch these for years. Perhaps so, but I'm not sure.

Bud

Bob