Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ecnerwal[_3_] Ecnerwal[_3_] is offline

Default Corporate cat

In article ,
Ignoramus16116 wrote:

We discovered that have some mice in the warehouse.

I set up some mouse traps, but I doubt that it will take care of the
problem fully. Maybe we should get a cat here. If so, what cats are
least troublemakers and good at catching mice?

What usenet posters are least troublemakers and most prone to stay off
politics in a metalworking group? It's more or less the same.

Individuals vary. Generally speaking, most any "purebred" is unlikely to
have the upbringing required for maximum efficiency. Not much to to with
the breeds, a lot to do with the early environment and teaching
opportunities.

You don't need to and it's not efficient to starve them - they hunt for
the hunt. One of the best ratters I've met was a 30-lb tub of lard.
Being fat did not impact his desire to kill rodents, including bitg
ones, a bit. A starving cat that's a crappy hunter will not magically
become a good hunter. If you can source a cat who's mother happens to be
a good hunter and a good teacher, great - if you can find a well-behaved
adult cat that's a good hunter, irrespective of it's mother, great. Male
or female should not matter much for "marking the territory" if you get
them fixed, which should be a part of your employee benefit plan for
them, along with vaccinations and worming. You are likely to have
happier, better adjusted feline employees if you get two, rather than
one. If that seems like too much trouble/expense, stick to traps, and
put out a lot of them.

You also need to make sure that any traps you set when you have feline
employees are not set in such a way that they can get a leg broken in
them.

Other than that, plug the holes and control food waste.