Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Dr. Deb[_2_] Dr.  Deb[_2_] is offline

Default Turning Punky wood

G. Ross wrote:

Dr. Deb wrote:
G. Ross wrote:

I am trying to turn a silver maple bowl with punky areas . I tried
using thin CA glue but it does not seem to penetrate far enough to
help much. Have any of you found anything that works better?

You might try

http://www.minwax.com/wood-products/...repair/minwax-

high-
performance-wood-
hardener?WT.srch=1&gclid=CIOguKzbt7ICFQP0nAodXgQAH Q

One of the guys in my Woodturner's Club (Alabama Woodturners Assn)
recommended it to me. It is as effective as thin CA, without the fumes
you
get from CA if the wood is at all wet. The added advantage is, you can
pour it in your bowl and let it set for awhile as it soaks into the wood.

Its not that expenisve, try it and see how it works.

Deb

Thanks! Ordered some and will give it a try.

Let me know how it works for you.
\
Deb