Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Franc Zabkar Franc Zabkar is offline

Default USB chargers, anyone ?

On Sat, 15 Sep 2012 05:34:54 -0700, "William Sommerwerck"
put finger to keyboard and composed:

What I don't understand is why we need a 480Kbps interface
to connect a keyboard or even a mouse. My maximum data
transfer rate, as a two-finger typist, is only about 2 bytes per
second, error correction notwithstanding.

I assume you're joking.

The U in USB stands for Universal. It's intended to connect almost any kind
of device.

I'm serious. I find it extremely annoying when I encounter an
application that won't run because it can't handle a USB keyboard or a
USB mouse. IMO there was nothing wrong with the PS/2 or AT keyboards
or mice, or serial mice for that matter (I'm still using a serial
optical Mouse Systems mouse), so I see no reason to introduce an
additional complication. USB is fine for high speed (or "full" speed)
peripherals, but I'm not going to waste a port on a keyboard.

- Franc Zabkar