mel

Default French door problem

As I said... a source for debate. Having been in the door business for over
30 years now I've seen technical data from various door manufacturers such
as Simpson, Morgan, Pella, Atrium, blah blah blah and they all seem to have
one thing in common. Nobody agrees which is the "proper" way. As you can
see from the two links I've provided from Atrium. In their definition of
glazing stop, the fixed part of the sash or door is referred to as interior
and the glazing bead, the removable strip goes on the exterior.

http://www.atriumcompanies.com/gloss...Glazing%20stop

http://www.atriumcompanies.com/gloss...Glazing%20Bead

Back to my original point concerning the location of the glass bead as being
determined by "security" criteria, it is in fact determined by the
manufacturer's sense of design and convenience. More to the point, a clad
door, be it vinyl or aluminum, will have the glass stop extruded into the
cladding which goes on the outside of the door and a wood glass bead on the
inside. Even Atrium, which is the source for my two links above will
manufacture their clad units this way, however, their wood units won't be.
Why? Because they made wood units first and followed the design of their
wood windows.

Take aluminum windows for example. Scotty windows are glazed from the
inside. Not for security purposes but rather so the service man can reglaze
a second story window from inside the house. Convenience. However a window
from General Aluminum or Danvid or HR, to name a few, is just the opposite.

You can order a door from Simpson Inc., a manufacturer of various styles of
exterior stile and rail doors and depending on the style, the glazing bead
will be on one side or the other. If the door has raised molding the glass
bead will be on the inside so you don't have to remove the molding to
reglaze but a "french" style door without raised molding will come with a
sticker denoting "this side out" referring to the side with the removable
glass bead. Go figure..

You have to remember that before the introduction of silicone based sealants
used today in glazing the manufacturer had to consider the inevitable
failure of the compounds used to seal the assembly.

--
"If God doesn't exist that means Man came up with the rules which govern
mankind. If that is the case don't you think Man would have come up with