Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Heat Pump in Cold Climate?

On Sep 15, 8:25*am, Norminn wrote:
I keep seeing homes for sale with heat pumps. *It's been a while, but I
have seen -25F in winter, so I am puzzled why folks use heat pumps here.
* Had a h.p. in Florida, and when the temp got down to the forties, it
wasn't warm enough indoors with the h.p. *Is there new technology?

Are those heat pumps air-based or geothermal? Efficiency
has increased over the years and air based ones can be
efficient sources of heat even down to 20F or so. But if
you see -25F in winter, unless it's geothermal, or dual fuel,
forget it. Here in NJ, where temps only reach the single
digits rarely, teens sometimes, I don;t know of anyone that
has an air-based heat pump.