Posted to alt.home.repair
Norminn Norminn is offline

Default what parts/tools/materials do I need to paint a bathroom?

On 9/12/2012 3:03 PM, Todd wrote:
On 09/12/2012 04:15 AM, Norminn wrote:
On 9/11/2012 4:02 PM, Todd wrote:
Hi All,

I need to paint a bathroom. What tools/parts/materials
do I need to purchase (paint is pretty obvious).

The shower is a one piece fiberglass shower. It leaves
about two feed of sheet rock on its vertical sides to
the sheet rock sealing. Where the sheet rock hits
the fiberglass is pealing. So, include what i need
the repair that too. Sandpaper? spackle?

Hopeless,
-T

Scraper or putty knife (p.k. is more flexible)
Spackle
Latex primer
Semi-gloss paint
Paintable caulk
Small foam paint roller
2" paint brush (not natural bristle); buy a good one if you plan to ever
paint again
Something to catch the drips; plastic sheet, newspaper, etc.
Stirring stick for paint
Rags
Spit (for smoothing the caulk)

Gently scrape the loose paint. Patch the peeled spots with spackle, let
dry, smooth with sandpaper or damp sponge. Apply primer, let dry.
Carefully apply caulk along join of shower and sheet rock; let it set.
Paint. I'm thinking that if you can't even come up with your own
shopping list for painting a bathroom, you are going to be stuck at
applying the caulk. If you seemed a tad more experienced, I'd recomment
alkyd semi-gloss paint for the bath...kinda' icky to clean up. Let us
know how it goes! You in college?

Exactly what I was looking for. Thank you for sharing your
knowledge with me. Don't care much for how to videos as
they tend to leave stuff out. ("What idiot would not know to
do this?" Well this idiot wouldn't.)

College was a long, long time ago.

Have to use Safe Coat, due to chemical sensitivities. Was going
to use their eggshell outdoor paint.

http://www.afmsafecoat.com/

AFM suggested M1 as a safe anti fungal. But still looking for
the MSDS. If any, and I mean any, human reaction, it is out.

Again, thank you so much,
-T

Chemical sensitivities are nasty things....ya' never know what's going
to make your eyes puff up ) In the realm of anti-fungals, it may be
safer and more productive to focus on ventillation rather than worrying
about paint additives. The reason being: adding a.f. to paint doesn't
change YOUR environment, as it allows the air and unpainted surfaces to
grow stuff. Part of the reason I like semi-gloss paint for baths (and
in the warm south, it is almost the universal choice for exterior
paints) is that it is slicker so grubby stuff doesn't cling to it and
grow. After we added a timer to our bath exhaust fan and started
leaving the shower curtain open on both sides when not in use, the
shower didn't grow any more mildew. Wiping down the shower after use
(for the very ambitious) would help. People with chem. sensitivities
are more likely, I expect, to be troubled with mold/mildew. I'm really
a doubter about the anti-fungal additives because mildew just doesn't
grow on clean, dry surfaces very well) I discovered on my last
paint-the-bathroom job that the walls and ceiling stay wet for a
surprisingly long time (2-3 hours) after a shower with no fan use.