Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Arfa Daily Arfa Daily is offline

Default When yellow glue goes brown ...

"Mike Tomlinson" wrote in message
En el artículo , Arfa Daily
escribió:

Well, today, quite by accident, I discovered that my favoured flux removal
chemical - Servisol Deflux 160 aerosol - does a nice job of softening the
glue up.

I've used IPA (isopropanol) and a half-inch paintbrush with all but an
inch of the bristles cut off for years. No scraping needed.

I reckon you must be using either different IPA than me, or dealing with a
different yellow glue then ! Before this week's discovery that Servisol 160
has at least a 'softening' effect, and loosens its attachment to the board
and the components that it has stuck to, I've never found anything readily
to hand that as much as touches it - and I use loads of electronics grade
IPA for board and general cleaning. Have I just been unlucky ? Has anyone
else found that they can get the stuff off with IPA ? There has been a lot
of discussion over the years on this glue, and the effects of it ageing and
turning brown, and one of the recurring questions in the threads has always
been how to get the stuff off without inflicting damage on the board, hence
the reason that I thought it worth passing on this latest finding ...

Arfa