Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Default OT OT What is the D?

On 9/14/2012 4:35 PM, wrote:
On Fri, 14 Sep 2012 14:53:27 -0500, wrote:

There's a kosher packing facility near here (along w/ many others; this
is heart of cattle country; local facility process 3000 head/day+); I
never heard of them passing off hindquarters but I'll see if I can check...

Maybe because it's so standard it's not worth talking about? 3000
head a day is a large number. If the sirloin steaks one would get
from 3000 head were available in kosher meat markets, I would have
heard about it. I would have seen them. But except for Israel, I
don't know anywhere one can get a kosher sirloin.

Okay, I checked and it seems that kosher sirloin, rump roast, and leg
of lamb do exist in the US, but he didn't say where. Probably too
expensive for me anyhow.

I don't "know nuthink'" really about kosher except the word and the
barest of the rules. I was "underneath the impression" (as an old
working buddy who was a walking malaprop factory used to say ) that
there were levels of strictness in conformance as there are the various
groups overall from the ultra-orthodox to whatever the other end is...

The facility is in Dodge which is about 80 mi away; it doesn't process
nearly that many altho I'm not sure what their kosher production numbers
were. Now that I'm thinking about it again, though, they had a fire
several years ago and I'm not sure they reopened that line. The main
plant is twice the size of the one here, however, roughly, and there's a
second of roughly the same size as here also in Dodge. So, within a 100
mi radius nearly 20,000 head a day (altho to be clear, all that is
conventional). It's delivered all over the US, to Mexico and Canada and
a great fraction of specialty products from here go to Japan and S Korea.

I'll have to do some more checking on the kosher facility altho a quick
web search didn't find anything on it that is current/since the fire. I
suppose the effort/expense to get it rebuilt to proper standards wasn't
worth it.