Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] wanderer@att.net is offline

Default OT OT What is the D?

On Fri, 14 Sep 2012 14:53:27 -0500, dpb wrote:

On 9/14/2012 1:46 PM, wrote:

That's a popular notion, but it's really about inspection, not
blessing.

Well, it's _really_ about following the proscriptions/directives;

Yes. Important point. I was contrasting blessing with inspecting.

inspection is simply to confirm that is so (or correct if not, of course)...

There's a kosher packing facility near here (along w/ many others; this
is heart of cattle country; local facility process 3000 head/day+); I
never heard of them passing off hindquarters but I'll see if I can check...

Maybe because it's so standard it's not worth talking about? 3000
head a day is a large number. If the sirloin steaks one would get
from 3000 head were available in kosher meat markets, I would have
heard about it. I would have seen them. But except for Israel, I
don't know anywhere one can get a kosher sirloin.

Okay, I checked and it seems that kosher sirloin, rump roast, and leg
of lamb do exist in the US, but he didn't say where. Probably too
expensive for me anyhow.

I also learned some new stuff about selling the hindquarters. It is
pretty old, starting 350 to 400 yeas ago. Partly because there has
been for that long a shortage of butchers qualified to remove the
sciatic and peroneal nerves (without hacking up the meat), and partly
because ithas been so easy to do where Jews lived among Moslems or
Christians.

Iin cases where the demand for kosher meat is not great, part of
someone else's slaugtherhouse will be rented for a day, or a few days
a month, and I think all that has to be done is to put the
hindquarters in the other company's refrigerator. In other cases
where they run 35 hours a week, the hindq's might be sent by
refrigerator truck.