Posted to alt.home.repair
George George is offline

Default old lintel, masonry: what's it made of?

On Fri, 14 Sep 2012 12:46:57 -0500, dpb wrote:

On 9/14/2012 11:37 AM, dadiOH wrote:
George wrote:
We think our house was built in the 1920's. ...

I'd appreciate any information (or even informed speculation) on what
a lintel from that period might be made of.

Cast concrete? Common now, don't know about then....

Yes, was also a possibility. The church here uses quite a lot of
roughly that age. Also could be real stone and the OP is mistaken about
what he thinks might be hollow -- some of the limestones/sandstones
aren't all _that_ hard. Or, of course, it's possible (albeit not
particularily likely in a residence) the real support is steel and this
is simply a decorative facade.

Knowing where this might be as well as the suggestion of pictures would
likely elicit a lot more informative guesses than otherwise.

(OP) no mistake. The foundation wall is limestone. I've drilled it, so
I know the difference The surfaces of the lintel are flat, but not
troweled smooth.

(I'll see if I can post a picture somewhere. Where would be a good
place?)