Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default USB chargers, anyone ?

John Robertson wrote:

Maybe USB in the PC world can't handle being moved from port to port,
but on my MacbookPro the machine doesn't care which of the two USB ports
I plug a peripheral (printer, USB drive, etc.) into - it always finds
it, and then uses it immediately.

Now that may just be my machine, or perhaps Apple did something right
when they wrote their USB handling protocols - I'm sure I don't know!

Or they just don't tell you what's happening. Two ports is easy.
When they work OK. When Apple screws up, it really screws up. I know
people who spend hours on the phone to Apple for problems. I'll fix any
of their PC or Cisco problems, but I won't touch Apple. I've repaired
computer hardware at the component level, from the Motorola 'Exorcisor'
6800 days. I troubleshot MC68340 embedded controller boards at the
factory, and my first IBM XT was built from boards all repaired on my
bench. I even converted that motherboard from the 256 KB version to the
640 KB version.

There is a program they will display all the USB devices a PC has
used, along with other information. I can't think of the name right
now, and it's not on this hard drive. It's my backup system that I use
to program ICs