Posted to uk.d-i-y
charles charles is offline

Default OT Long term benefits from Olympics.

In article ,
J.B.Treadstone wrote:
On Fri, 14 Sep 2012 10:28:03 +0100, Tim Streater wrote:

In article
,
" wrote:

On Sep 14, 8:31 am, harry wrote:
Zero I imagine.

Plenty I expect, best being making all the grumpy old complaining gits
look a bit silly.

No, harry was right - just this once. I can think of better ways the
country could have spent nine bullyun quid.

Very rarely has any city/country made /any/ profit from hosting the
Olympics. A parliamentary committee recently concluded that the Games cost
the public sector /alone/ £11 billion. "The Funding Package of £9.3
billion allocated to the Olympics does not cover the totality of the costs
to the public purse of delivering the Games and their legacy, which are
already heading for around £11 billion."
[London 2012 Olympic and Paralympic Games - Public Accounts Committee]

Some critics believe that the total cost for London will, in fact, amount
to some £24 billion when the games have ended.

[Snip]

don't forget the cost to Surrey who 'hosted' the cycle races; Berkshire -
the rowing; Dorset - the sailing; also all the venues for football.

--
From KT24

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.18