Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default USB chargers, anyone ?

William Sommerwerck wrote:
USB is completely stupid, from the ground up.

I don't know how long you've been using personal computers, but it seems
you've never had to set up COM ports, which can be a major pain in the
toches. USB largely delivers on its promise of "plug and play". Whatever
problems it might have, they are offset by the fact that USB works with
little or no fussing.

I used a dumb terminal before I had a complete computer, so I'm no
stranger to serial and all the goofy breakout boxes, null modem adapters
and chain of adapters almost foot long to get stuff to work. It was all
pretty stupid, but about as good as it gets for stuff that old.

The only problem I can remember is a product that said you shouldn't install
the driver until you've plugged in the device, when it was actually the
other way around. Or maybe vice-versa.

that right there is the sign something inherently doesn't work correctly.
If you did just plug something in, you'd end up in a world of hurt most of
the time too- again, it's totaly senseless and the sign of a stupid
committee at work.

Imagine your outlet exploding if you plugged in a new appliance before
registering the device with your circuit breaker panel.

Or maybe an network device that if plugged into your hub/route/switch
would completely destroy your network unless you installed magic drivers
or code works or whatever somewhere else first.

It's all stupid and there's no excuse for it at all.