Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Way [OT] Intersection Passtime?

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in message
m...

Jim Wilkins wrote:

I can't wait for them to become cheap enough to rebuild into an
X-Ray
Vision camera.

It will be an interesting field, when it becomes more common.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Millimeter_wave_scanner

The fastest thing I have here is a Polarad SA, that will let you
see
40 GHz, with an external mixer. The highest I've worked with was Ku
band. I used to repair 4 GHz LNAs, LNBs & BDCs on my bench at home.

I have an 18 GHz spectrum analyzer and a 1 GSa digital storage scope,
both obsolete but functional. The fastest scope I ever had, as in
signed for from the USAF and provided lab bench space, used liquid
Helium cooled Josephson junctions for a 70 GHz bandwidth. I've tested
my designs for cavity resonance at up to 6 GHz but normally stayed
below 2 GHz for custom GPS receivers and the like.

Typically the engineer gave me a scribble of the signal path and
critical components that I filled out into the full schematic, then I
designed the multilayer controlled impedance circuit board and the
RF-tight aluminum housing, gave it a quick functionality check, set up
the test equipment and called him/her in to play with their new toy.

In the 1970's I built a 10 GHz Doppler radar using a GE PIN diode
oscillator module, but my own design input was all in the audio band
detector.

jsw