Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default OT - Electric Shocks From Shopping Carts

I was shopping at BJ's last night and was pushing one of their big red
shopping carts around the store. The carts are metal, with a plastic
semi-circle attached to the top of the handle, leaving the metal on
the bottom of the handle exposed.

A couple of times I felt something strange on the finger tips on my
left hand so I (carefully) slid my hand along the underside of the
handle to see if there something sharp under there. It was completely
smooth.

I continued walking around the store and continued to feel the strange
sensation every few steps, eventually realizing that it felt like I
was being shocked.

I paid close attention to the position of my hands and found that if I
wrapped my hands around the handle in a normal fashion, but moved my
finger tips so that they were very close to, but not touching, the
metal underside of the handle, I would get a static electricity shock
every few steps.

It didn't hurt, but it was not a pleasant feeling.