Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default Grout scrubbers?

On Sep 13, 10:51*am, "
wrote:
On Wed, 12 Sep 2012 22:24:02 -0700, "walter" wrote:

wrote in message
On Sep 12, 5:11 pm, "walter" wrote:
My kitchen and bathroom counters are covered with beautiful 4" ceramic
tiles
and 1/2 " grout lines. They have lasted for 30 years without a chip or
blemish.

The problem is with the grout. Originally it was probably sealed. Over
many
years, the sealer has deteriorated. It is kind of scaling off and does
not
look so good any more.

So, I would like to remove all remnants of the original sealer, then
scrub
the grout free of accumulated grime and then apply a new sealer.

I can remove the old sealer pretty well with a brass bush, which does not
scratch the tiles. However, it is hard work and I am tired of it.

Is there a mechanical scrubber that will take the hard work out of
refurbishing my grout?

What do the pros use? I am sure they do not do it with a small brass
toothbrush.

Thanks

--www.rationality.net

1/2" grout lines?

You are right; I meant 1/4" grout lines

That's still pretty wide. *The grout should come out pretty easily (compared
to 1/8", or less). * With lines that wide, I'd really look into the grout saw
options for multi-tools.- Hide quoted text -

If I were to use a multi-tool, I would use this as the excuse to buy
the variable speed model from HF.

Even though I've only used the single speed model, there have been
times when I've said to myself "Man, I wish I could slow this thing
down". I don't know if it would have helped/worked, but I would have
like to have had the opportunity to try.

Before I attacked any project related to tile that I wanted to save,
I'd really want to start as slow as possible to reduce the chance of a
runaway tool.

I know the HF variable speed model can be had for ~$40 when it's on
sale, but I just haven't been able to justify it when the single speed
is still working fine. I really need to drop that thing off a roof or
something. I'm going to be taking it to my dad's house this weekend,
which is 300 miles away. Maybe I'll forget to bring it home. It sure
wouldn't be worth the shipping costs to get it back. ;-)