Posted to sci.electronics.repair
John Robertson John Robertson is offline

Default USB chargers, anyone ?

There is a typo on that document that I don't have the time to find the
correct info for. This (1st paragraph, second last sentence) doesn't
make sense:

"A charging port supplies up to 500 mA at 5 V, up to the rated current
at 3.6 V or more,..."

Couldn't find a ready explanation for the rated current, but 3.6A may be
what the author meant, however I see later where the rated current is
more like 1.5A with 5A maximum.

Someone with more time can find the correct reference and fix that
article...

John :-#)#

William Sommerwerck wrote:
Perhaps I should have read a bit further. This is probably what you're
looking for...

Charging ports and accessory charging adapters
The USB Battery Charging Specification of 2007 defines new types of USB
ports, e.g., charging ports.[44] As compared to standard downstream ports,
where a portable device can only draw more than 100 mA current after digital
negotiation with the host or hub, charging ports can supply currents above
0.5 A without digital negotiation. A charging port supplies up to 500 mA at
5 V, up to the rated current at 3.6 V or more, and drop its output voltage
if the portable device attempts to draw more than the rated current. The
charger port may shut down if the load is too high.

The Battery Charging Specification 1.2 of 2010 [12] makes clear, that there
are safety limits to the rated current at 5 A coming from USB 2.0. On the
other hand several changes are made and limits are increasing including
allowing 1.5 A on charging ports for unconfigured devices, allowing high
speed communication while having a current up to 1.5 A and allowing a
maximum current of 5 A.

www.flippers.com