Posted to alt.home.repair
Steve Barker[_6_] Steve Barker[_6_] is offline

Default What sucked my traps dry?

On 9/11/2012 8:54 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
I have a basement bathroom that is located at the very front of the
house. All of the fixtures are within a few feet of the last clean out
before the main drain leaves my house. The house is about 50 feet from
the town's sewer pipe.

I came home from work last night (Monday) to find that the toilet had
very little water in it. There was still some water in the toilet, but
it was below the bottom of the bowl section. When I flushed it I could
hear noise from the shower drain, so I turned on the shower and heard
the shower trap filling up with water.

Since I had used the toilet and shower that morning, whatever happened
had happened during the work day.

I should add that the town was at the neighbor's house on Sunday
evening, apparently snaking their drain. Their house is downstream
from mine. However, as I said, I used the bathroom Monday morning so I
know the toilet and shower trap were full when I left for work.

Could the town have come back on Monday and done something with the
sewer that would have sucked the water out of my toilet and shower
trap? Obviously I'll check when I get home tonight to see if it
happened again, but I'm curious as to what might cause the toilet and
trap to loose water.

Thanks.

a good wind storm can get the water "bounced" out of a toilet. from
blowing across the roof stack. have wind that day?

--
Steve Barker