Posted to sci.electronics.repair
mike mike is offline

Default Overload an electrical outlet?

On 9/12/2012 4:14 PM, Dallas wrote:

I’ve been putting the final touches on a new computer system with three
monitors and a 750 watt power supply. The printer is 600 watts, the
monitors are 170 watts, I have a TV on the other side of the wall
that’s 250 watts… add it all up to a usual load of about 15.3 amps. If
I turned on lights, amplifiers I can run the total up to 30.1 amps.

The circuit is 15 amps. :- (

And… I’d like to run all the computer equipment through one outlet so I
can unplug everything when the thunderstorms come.

So, I have a lot of questions:
1) First, why did the computer act like it tripped an overload in its
power supply, most of the load was outside of the computer? Why didn’t
the residential breaker trip instead?

2) Can a breaker cut the load for a second without mechanically
flipping to the off position?

3) I seem to remember some people just replacing the 15 amp with a 20
amp breaker when things get tight, is that a dangerous/stupid idea?

and illegal

4) Does anyone see a problem running about 13 amps through one
household outlet in a tree of several power strips?

I wouldn't

Should I increase my fire insurance coverage? :- )

Your fire insurance is based on the value of the stuff insured.
That's not affected by the load. Your carrier likely won't
insure you specifically against intentional overloads, more likely
will drop you. Stock up on weiners and stuff to make smores. ;-)

The power numbers on the name plate of electronic equipment may
bear little relationship to the actual power consumed under
normal conditions. And depending on the design of the equipment,
amps times volts can be significantly higher than watts.

If you really do have 30.1 amps and the 15A breaker doesn't trip, have it
fixed.

Call up the power company and ask them how to read the instantaneous
power from your utility meter. Count the revolutions/unit time
of the meter disk or the disk emulation on the LCD.
Use the formula they give you to calculate power consumption.
Do that with all your stuff on and again with all your stuff off.
Subtract the numbers.

Or you could buy a meter to tell you directly.
This is the most popular one.
https://www.google.com/products/cata...I&ved=0CC4QrQQ