Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
[email protected] dbr@kbrx.com is offline

Default 36" bandsaw with VFD?

You might look for a blade with ordinary carbide teeth for cutting
aluminum & copper & brass, etc. Fancy carbide teeth for cutting steel.
This is possible with a wood cutting 10 in. miter saw. Ordinary carbide
blades for cutting wood go through aluminum & brass very quickly. A steel
cutting blade cut a 2 inch diameter 1040 bar in 40 sec. The next cut
hardened the steel & the blade had to be sharpened - possibly due to
cutting too slowly.
Aluminum, etc, is quick & easy. Iron, etc is quick & hopeful. If you
use a lot 12l14 or 1018 steels, the results are a noticebly more reliable.
Whether or not a bandsaw will provide the same results is a question with
room for optimism.

Hul

Tom Gardner Mars@tacks wrote:
I have a 7.5 hp 36" Tannewitz vertical band saw that we don't use much
any more. We used it for production wood cutting and it zinged through
5/4 hardwood like butter.

Could I put a VFD on it to cut metal?