nestork nestork is offline
Senior Member

Cal:

My building was built with gyproc lath plaster walls:

Apartment rentals in Winnipeg, Manitoba

and I've been repairing and renovating that building for the past 25 years, so I'm knowledgable about repairing real plaster.

You should be aware that no one uses real lime based plaster any more except in historical buildings where it's important to stay true to the methods and materials that were used by the original builders.

Nowadays, everyone uses modern base coat plasters (which provide bulk by using perlite instead of sand and stick better because they have powdered adhesives in them instead of lime putty).

And, nowadays, everyone used drywall joint compound (and there are different kinds of drywall joint compound) for their guaging coat (which is the smooth white lime based plaster at the surface.

I, too have experimented with making my own sand and lime plasters, and I have since gone back to using modern materials because it makes the job easier and produces superior results.

Can I ask why you're wanting to use a real lime based plaster when modern alternatives are available to you?