Posted to alt.home.repair
bob haller bob haller is offline

Default What sucked my traps dry?

On Sep 12, 1:26*pm, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Sep 12, 10:52*am, bob haller wrote:

Since I've seen no other symptoms associated with a blocked vent, it
would have to have been a 1 - 2 punch on Monday.

I'll keep an eye on the situation and see if any "blocked vent"
symptoms become apparent.

letssay theres a big clog downstream that suddenly clears, this can
create a vacuumn that sucks the water out of your traps......

I had it happen here once when the sewer company was working

unlikely but probably what happened to you.

probably a good time to look for your main house trap vent, they often
get covered or lost over the years....

it would of prevented what you had occur, thats its job. along with
preventing flammables to get into your interior drain pipes

main house trap vent?

Never heard of that. I'd be surprised if I even had one.

What should I be looking for?

Every home around here has a trap just outside the permiter of the
foundtion....

its 4 inches around here and has a vent too,

they frequently get lost over the years. around here the sewer company
requires its located and functionally any time a home is sold. along
with a dye test to confirm there are no illegal connections like
downspout to sanitary sewer.......

ask a neighbor who has lived near you a long time, thats how i found
mine.... they also knew where the doorbell wires were buried too. a
previous occupant had removed the actual doorbell..... and buried the
wires in drywall mud 5 minutes looking at their doorbell
explained it all.

the neighbors who lived nearby forever can be very informative