Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default When yellow glue goes brown ...

Arfa Daily wrote:
Sounds a bit like one of those late night cable programs "When Good Snakes
Go Bad" :-)

We have discussed this topic on here a number of times, and one thing that
usually comes up is how you get the stuff off. There's a switcher that I do
which has a pair of small radial electrolytics 'folded over' and glued down
on top of a whole bunch of surface mount components on the small drive /
control sub-board. Some of the components that are under the glue run quite
hot - a zener for instance - and this has a double whammy effect on the
board in that first it turns the glue brown, which then becomes conductive,
and then it also does a nice job of conducting the heat into the caps, to
ultimately **** those as well.

The glue gets right down between the pins of the PWM / driver IC amongst
other places, and is an absolute bitch to remove, without damaging assorted
gnat's-bollock sized support components in the vicinity.

Well, today, quite by accident, I discovered that my favoured flux removal
chemical - Servisol Deflux 160 aerosol - does a nice job of softening the
glue up. Not quite to the point of actually dissolving it, but enough that
it can then be fairly easily picked off with a fine scalpel blade, and then
scrubbed off with an old toothbrush, once you've got the thick of it off.

Arfa

I hate that stuff, and anybody that ever decided to use it.

that silicone caulk they use these days is even more obnoxious. Some seem
to have huge amounts of a tough filler. All electronic junk with that
stuff should be dumped into the drinking water suppplies in the country
that produced it.