Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Beware marble countertops. . .

On Tue, 11 Sep 2012 10:50:29 -0400, Norminn wrote:

On 9/11/2012 9:07 AM, George wrote:
On 9/11/2012 8:35 AM, Doug wrote:
On Tue, 11 Sep 2012 00:21:01 -0400, "
wrote:

On Mon, 10 Sep 2012 22:07:59 -0400, "Ralph Mowery"
wrote:

"Ray" wrote in message
We recently installed marble countertops in our kitchen, and it's
been a
disaster.

Almost immediately water-spots began to form, taking off the sealer.

Even worse, a little tomato juice fell onto the counter, and it was
as if
we'd put paint remover on it. Big ugly dull spots wherever the tomato
juice fell -- and it was there for just a few minutes.

We called the installer, who came out and used a different sealer.
This
seem to withstand water fairly well, but the tomato problem is as
bad as
ever.

Has anyone else had similar experiences?

Any suggestions?

Marble and many other stone tops are made to look at, not to use.
While it
does not look as good, it is still hard to beat the old Formica for a
cabinet top that is made to use.

Utter rubbish.

Depends. Actually each has their pros and cons. I've seen the
newest Formica and it's not bad looking especially when compared to
that of 40 or 50 years ago. I have Corian right now and it's ok. I
would not mind having the newest Formica except when it comes time to
sell my home. For some reason, people look down at it around here.
Maybe it's because they see it only in the new starter homes????

There are people whose identity depends on what they have and much
imagined status it gives them and there are folks who are happy to have
something that looks good and is quite serviceable but isn't the "hot
item".

I've been looking at real estate lately and have seen some of the most
unbelieveably ugly homes....one had different maroon/dk green wallpapers
in EVERY STINKING ROOM, each with it's own border. It would take 100
years to strip it all. Have also seen a lot of expensive kitchens that
looked dreadfully dated, in spite of having one of everything from the
cabinet catalogue. Eek!

Agreed but some like that style. OTOH, I certainly wouldn't buy a house with
more than one papered room. I could deal with stripping that much, though the
last time the one (small) room was a disaster.